Sunday, May 3, 2009

On Waiting and Worrying

The end of my school year is three days away. I have not heard back from a certain job yet. They said that I should have hear back last week. My whole summer depends on if I get this job or not. It means I will have to move out of where I am living now. It means I'll have to start some major planning on my part. It even means that I will have to move five hours away from home.

But I have not heard anything.

And I'm not worried.

It's not that I am so confident that I will get this job. There is absolutely no guarantee. It's not that I am promised another job here in Columbia (though I am sure that I will be able to find something somewhere). I am not worried because I do not mind waiting. I will end up where I am supposed to be and do it gladly.

Every now and then I get accused of not caring - and for some instances that's true - but when it comes to things in the future that I cannot directly control, I do not see any point in worrying. I definitely care about the outcome... but if the outcome is not dependent upon me, then I do not worry. There is a tangible difference between not caring and not worrying.

I'll tell you a secret that most people don't know or have forgotten: Just because you are not worried about something, does not mean that its not important to you.

Of course I do worry sometimes. Most of the time it happens to me during and after an event or situation. Like "I'm worried that no one is listening to what I am saying." Or "I'm worried that no one enjoyed the skits at Gender Wars." But usually this will subside in a day or so.

Let me bring it back in before I start chasing a rabbit.

Yes. I am waiting. No. I am not worried.

In situations like this, Christ's words typically pop into my head. He says, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Luke 12:25)


So... I'll wait. Because I know that there is nothing to worry about.




"Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday." - Baz Luhrman

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I'm not much of a worrier, but every now and then I need to be reminded of this too. You're a smart one, Mr. Culpepper. That said, I still hope you get the job.
    Oh and I love Baz Luhrman.

    ReplyDelete